10.20.2008

The Road to being a 'Try-athlete'

Last year, I was reading my free issue of Fitness Magazine (a great perk of my job) looking for something that would inspire me to get in shape for my upcoming wedding. What I found was an 8-week training program for a sprint triathlon.

I thought, "I like to swim and bike and I can tolerate running .... This can't be that bad!"

Luckily, I started to tell people about this idea and a girl on my floor at work tells me that she does them all the time. (She failed to mention at that time that she always brings home 1st, 2nd or 3rd in her age division.) She says I should check out Seafair, so I do.

The scene is crazy. Almost 2,000 people of all sizes and ages gearing up in their swim caps and wetsuits. The frenzy in the water reminds me of a shark attack out of Jaws. As people leave the water, I'm in awe at their ability to take of a wetsuit and run at the same time.

At the start of the bike, I am less impressed. A TON of people falling trying to get on their bikes and some fall trying to get off their bike (which over a year later, I did at Beaver Lake ...).

So, by the time I saw people finish the run, I decided to do one. Two weeks before my wedding at Mercer Island.

I had two goals: Finish and not finish last. I accomplished both. I beat a whole 4 people in my age division.

The next spring, I bought a new road bike, finished two more races (much better than the first), got new pedals from my husband for my birthday, and then finished my fourth race.

So ... what's next? Ironman 2010!!

No comments:

Post a Comment