12.30.2009

New Attitude Towards Running?

Today is day two of running home. What? Yep, two days in a row of over 4.5 miles each.

I've never been a fan of running. I have always been slow, no matter how in-shape I was. It makes my lungs burn, makes my heart race, and all around puts me in a place of extreme discomfort.

Well, it's no secret that I'm training for Ironman, so I thought I should get back at it. But, I did some reading over the Christmas holiday and thought I'd try the advice of trying to keep your heart rate down while training. The theory says that you will get faster at that heart rate over time and will burn fat. Sounded pretty good.

Holy moly. I had so much fun. I did a 2,25o-yard swim practice at the Masters swim workout and then changed for the run home. I left about 8 pm from the WAC, where I work out. Shortly after I started my run, it started to rain. Didn't really bother me. I had a fleece vest a an iPod full of songs my friend Danielle gave to me. It was actually challenging to keep my heart rate in the 155-165 range. I almost felt like I was dancing home! Light heart rate means slow shuffley steps, but I was home in no time! So, I did it again today.

I'm so happy that I've made peace with running ... for now. Slower is better ... for now.

2 comments:

  1. Woot woot! I hope that my music didn't drive you up the wall :)

    I just signed up for Lake Stevens ... hmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! Congrats! We are going to have so much fun! And your present came in the mail today! I might have to make a special delivery on Monday!

    ReplyDelete