2.21.2010

Me? An Inspiration?

I love the Olympics. I have been watching a wide variety of events this week—as long as I can stay awake. I find so many of the athletes' stories inspiring. When I was little, I really looked up to Olympians so I find it odd that I am now older than the majority of them.
So, in the spirit of inspiring, I answered my company's request for 'getting healthy' stories for our corporate-wide wellness initiative video. I got the email Wednesday morning and they wanted to have all of the stories lined up by Friday. A very quick turntime.

I carefully typed 1,500 words. It was my story—how an overweight workaholic became an Ironman hopeful in 4 years. Granted, most of the changes I've made are in my head; I submitted my word document anyway with a more courteous and condensed 'Cliff Notes' version in the email body.

I got a call later that day asking for an interview. (I actually missed the first call because I was out for a run.) I did the interview and I wasn't very confident in how it went. I didn't really have enough time to think through everything I wanted to share. It was a bit disorganized and I was worried that I wouldn't make the cut. That night and the next day, a bunch of ideas flooded my brain about what I could have said. Hindsight being 20/20 of course.

But! I got the call! They want to feature my 'road to health' story along with 5 others in this video! We start filming Thursday. I don't really know anything else right now but hope to soon. I'm excited to share how it goes. Please pray that my voice returns before then. I have been a little under the weather for the last few days and I sound a bit like a man. NOT the impression I want to make in my first film in 19 years.

My favorite part of the process (so far) was when Lindsay, the interviewer, told me (after telling me I got the spot) that she was inspired to go running at lunch after speaking with me. Then, she actually went and did it! This made my heart so happy!

So, now that I've had a little more time to think on it, there are 10 things I'd like to share in the video if given the opportunity.
  1.  I really believe that Albert Einstein was on to something when he said, "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
  2. Try something new! I never would have found my love for bike riding and racing had I not tried my first triathlon.
  3. And if you don't love something and you've given it an honest shot, move on to something else. Life is too short to not enjoy what you're doing.
  4. Make goals and tell people about them. This keeps you accountable. Accountability is super important.
  5. Track your progress. It is very empowering to see how far you've come.
  6. It is okay to make mistakes. It is okay to fail. Do your best to correct them, learn from them, and move on. Do NOT dwell on them.
  7. Make friends how do what you like to do. You'd be surprised at the community you can create.
  8. Encourage others. Share what you know. But, do not push either encouragement or knowledge on people who are not ready.
  9. Be open to learning new things every day. We all have things we can improve.
  10. Don't try to be the best. You'll drive yourself crazy. Just strive to be your best self.
So, while I'm not an Olympian or 'The Biggest Loser,' I am excited to have the opportunity inspire others. I find inspiration in LOTS of people. I hope someone can find a little in me.

And, because blogs without photos aren't very much fun, here is a picture of me at Volunteer Park. Danielle took the picture during our long run on Thursday. We had just ascended all of Capitol Hill and were rewarded with a beautiful view of the Space Needle and the mountains beyond.










1 comment:

  1. YEAH!!!!!!

    You are totally an inspiration! I know this has past, but just thought I would reiterate the fact!

    ReplyDelete