1.13.2010

Fatigue with a Side of Rain

Today was recovery day and I really needed it! Now, you might think that means I sat on the couch snuggled up with Kevin to watch some primetime TV.

Nope.

When you are training for an Ironman, it means you run for 20 minutes at lunch and then ride your bike for an hour after dinner.

My lack of quality sleep is really catching up to me.

Today's workouts were a lot easier than yesterday. I met up with the Cycle U Multisport team for an hour track workout last night in the pouring rain. At least it was warm. The group started to warm-up and I? Well, I started to laugh. They were running at a 5K pace for me. I didn't try to keep up with them; I just moved around the track at my own speed. I knew that this would be hard for me if this was their idea of a warm-up.

Then, the actual workout began. 10 x 400s, starting at a 9-minute mile pace and then increasing from there. We got a 2-minute break between each lap. I survived the 9, 8:40, 8:20 and 8-minute paces. Then I was fried. I bailed. I was the first one to drop back to a 9-minute pace for the rest of the intervals. I was alone for a couple laps and then had 1 other person join me. But! I finished all the laps and had an overall 9-minute mile pace for over 5 miles. That is pretty good for me.

Hopefully, I can still get better.

Also, this is what one looks like after running in the pouring rain, in the dark, in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment