1.24.2010

Hungry, Hungry Hippo

My resolutions need to be edited. Okay, just one. I know what you are thinking. 'She's fallen off the wagon already?!!' Well, yes, but not entirely.

Let me explain. I resolved to 'eat less' in 2010. I need to change that statement to 'eat better.'

Since I started Ironman training, I cannot feed myself fast enough. It feels like I woke a sleeping hippo in my tummy who now wants to eat everything in sight.

When I walked into the office last Monday, my manager, who I hadn't seen in a week, said I look different. He also asked me how I was feeling, and my reply?
"Like a super hero, actually, who could kick any one's ass at any time!"

At the beginning of the week, I felt great, just hungry all the time. My body felt tingly and I told Kevin that is how I know that somewhere inside of me, an Ironman is being made.


It's an odd feeling to go into Whole Foods and wonder if I have enough calories to eat.

In my business meetings on Thursday and Friday, I wolfed down PBJ sandwiches and granola bars like you wouldn't believe. I think it shocked a few of the other attendees at how quickly food could disappear. This would also be a good time to introduce the Table Temptation of the Day!

Thursday and Friday was definitely the hardest matchup yet.

Me vs. Jason Ray's brownie bites

Jason works for the other company in my meetings. He has a BBQ catering business on the side and makes some of the best barbeque I've ever tasted. As part of that, he also makes these brownie bites and brought 3 different flavors to the meeting–mocha, raspberry, and my weakness, peanut butter.

He even picked one out of the box and put it next to my seat in the conference room. Torture. Now, you may think that I ate it due to my current insatiable nature, but I didn't. That's right. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've turned down a peanut butter and chocolate combo and this was one of them.

Also, as a side note, I should mention how incredibly hard it is to keep up my blogging resolution. Now that I'm working out all the time, logging in my training information, eating non-stop, and trying to keep my marriage on course, blogging has fallen considerably on the priority list. But, this is still way more frequent that 2009, so I'm still technically on track.

Speaking of track, I went to Roosevelt High School today for Cycle U's Running 101 clinic. It was super cold outside, but the session was really helpful. I learned some great new stretches and strength training exercises.

Tracy Orcutt, local elite triathlete, taught the clinic with Coach Tom and gave they gave us targeted, individual advice after watching our running stride. I don't think it will make me an amazing runner, but it was nice to walk away with things I can work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment