1.17.2010

Ironman Training—Week 1 Completed!

14 hours of working out. 14 hours of swimming, pilates, biking and running. 14 hours of a snotty nose, labored breathing, and sweating ... a lot. Needless to say, I'm tired.

This weekend definitely revolved around training. Saturday, I took my TT bike to Cycle U for a multisport InCycle class to be followed by a 30-minute brick run. I'm so thankful that it didn't start until 11:45 am. I really needed to sleep in to catch up on my rest. The class definitely had me reaquaint myself with my aero position. I felt like the workout was good, but not too out of control. Then, we went for a run which I did at my own pace. Jocelyn, a member of the Cycle U tri team, ran with me and it was nice to get my mind off my run and even nicer to get to know someone a bit better.

Saturday night, I attended the Cycle U tri team meeting in West Seattle.
The guest speaker was Rhae Shaw, talking about her very successful 2009 season. When it comes to triathlon, I really look up to her. She is really level-headed about her course of progress over the years but definitely strives for excellence. She brought her 2nd place wooden bowl trophy from the race in Kona this year. It was great to hear her talk about finally achieving her goal ... set 6 years ago. (And I thought my Ironman goal of 2.5 years was long ....) Oh, and I got to hold the bowl and eat 'champion chips' out of it. (Get it? Super cheesy. You can't blame me; Rhae said it first.) It might not be as prestigious, but my Ironman finisher's medal will be my version of the bowl, for now.

Today, I got out of bed fairly early for a Sunday and went out for a hill-repeat run around 9 am. I picked a hill not too far from our house and slowly jogged around the block as my rest interval. Now, I don't really expect people to be in their yards in January, especially in the incredibly rainy weather we have had. However, for some reason, there was a guy in his yard. I wonder what he was thinking as I passed by his house every 3 minutes or so at the closest thing I have to a sprint. When I was done, I headed home because I had some baking to do!

Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I don't really cook. But, I had a women's team ride and meeting to go to and had promised them all chicken puffs, which is on the very short list of things I can make without supervision. But of course, somehow the cans of chicken got left in the car! Kevin had to come home to bring me the chicken. So much for self-sufficiency! I'm so lucky to have such a patient husband!

Eventually, the chicken puffs were completed and Kevin drove my to Normandy Park for the women's ride. We got started late. Really late. I was there a couple minutes before noon, which was the designated ride time. We didn't leave until after 1 pm. We rode for 51 miles ... fairly flat. But, the hills we did have, I was last every time. I blame it on the hill repeats, but the real reason is that our team is really good this year. I'm actually super excited to see how we do! Overall, we had two flats, which didn't hold us up too much, but for some reason, the ride was really long. We didn't get back until after 5 and it was starting to get dark. I left the meeting a little early because I was supposed to go to a movie with Danielle.

Lastly, I didn't think that I'd be blowing off my friends due to training so early, but it definitely happened today. I had to give Danielle a raincheck on the movie. Sorry, friend! I hope this is the exception. NOT the rule.





1 comment:

  1. I am so mad, it's unbelievable! Well, okay, not really mad at all :)

    ReplyDelete