1.30.2010

New Pants and The Fast Lane

Triathlon training is going well, minus a bit of a setback on Wednesday (missed work and training due to one or many of the following possible reasons: flu, food poisoning, overtraining, allergic reaction to Tuesday's 'Bonus Mile.')

A few observations:

My jeans are too big. Now, you would think that I would be dancing around in delight at this development. You'd only be partially right. Yes, I'm happy that I am physically looking better, but at the same time I am annoyed at trying to find time and finances to buy new pants. No, I cannot just keep wearing my baggy pants around. I work at a fashion retailer. No ill-fitting pants allowed.

So what's a girl to do? I took my friend Danielle at lunchtime on Tuesday and headed over to Nordstrom. I generally hate shopping for jeans more than I do swimsuits because jeans have always been tricky for me. God gave me more-than-my-fair-share of hips and a pretty small waist—dimensions that usually cause a giant canyon between the waistband and my back. This canyon usually morphs itself into a peek-a-boo show with my underwear anytime I sit down. No thank you. So, in the past, I have just taken jeans that fit well everywhere else to the tailor to be taken in at the waist.

Since my last denim purchase, Cookie Johnson, basketball player Magic Johnson's wife, has developed a denim line for more 'curvy' women called CJ by Cookie Johnson. (Brilliant, I know.) Apparently, Oprah loves the brand. And since Nordstrom carries the line, I thought I'd give it a try.

Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful! The jeans fit like a glove (no gaping!) and I felt like a million bucks. I bought a pair of bootcut jeans in store and ordered a pair of skinny jeans online. Yep, skinny jeans for non-skinny people like me! They will look so cute tucked into my 'sporty calf' boots.

Switching gears.

Swimming is awesome. I actually really enjoy swimming laps. I didn't grow up swimming competitively so maybe I haven't had enough time to get sick of staring at the line at the bottom of the pool. Here are a few reasons why swimming is so great right now:

1. For a few hours a week, it feels like middle of summer, not the middle of winter.
2. Weight matters so much less in the water. Bye, bye watts per kilogram.
3. Along the same lines, I can move so much faster than the girl in her pink bikini.
4. I felt instantly better from my Wednesday 'setback' after being in the pool.
5. I can feel myself getting exponentially better.
6. Sometimes, I get to swim in the fast lane.

Yep! Me, in the fast lane. I've never been in the fast lane. I'm pretty slow at everything I do, except maybe eat. I read slow, I get dressed slow, I even drive slow. But, a few times a week now, I get to be considered fast, even if it is relative to the other crazies that are at the pool at 5:50 am.

And now, for the Table Temptation of the Day! This entry comes from Friday and my work team's production meeting. Now, Susie on my team is one of those rare people who can pretty much eat whatever they want. I'd probably hate her for this, but she is just too nice to ever begrudge her anything. One of her favorite indulgences are Swedish Fish and she brought her latest stash to our meeting. I've been known to pack away a few of these colorful treats in the past so I was a bit nervous to sit down in their presence for an entire hour. Kind of like a staring contest.

Me vs. Swedish Fish

It was a tough battle. I watched those little fish get gobbled up by my colleagues and bore witness to the joy it brought them. I stayed strong though and walked away from the table undefeated. Then, I took a picture. I think they look a little bit like crayons on film. Adults do not eat crayons.




No comments:

Post a Comment